Please Watch My Emmy Winning Movie, The Pez Outlaw on Amazon Prime & Peacock. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Best actor at SXSW.
It's My Story.
1950s Rocket Crystal Radio.
I've been thinking about these lately. My older brother Virgil & I decided to sleep in the Attic to avoid our 3 brothers. We had this Rocket Radio. No batteries. You wrapped a wire around the chimney & we both Listened by huddle ing up & sharing the one ear piece. Ours was a Red, White & Blue Rocket.
I don't retain many clear memories from childhood, but this one stuck as a very treasured memory.
I'd buy one to nostalgicly display, But who on Earth can afford $80.00 for it on ebay. Ours could not have cost more than 2 bucks, even if that.
This was probably 70 years ago when I was 5 years old.
I did not expect to find even one of them on ebay, let alone approx 6 different listings.
ebay link to Pez Outlaw Collectibles.
When we were young, all things were possible.
Our only limitation was our imagination.
Hold your dreams close.
Don't let others limit what is possible for you.
Head Down That Road, It's exciting.
You will see things you never dreamt were possible.
When you are lucky, things you never dreamed happen.
My Babies now have young adult children.
I dream for them & you also.
My Life is once again filled with dreams of the possible.
I have been Lucky, my life has been filled with the impossible.
What suprises await me? We shall see together.
Pics below. I'm second from the left. I think?
There is a spoken truth behind this , but my new understanding does not allow me to share it.
From here out I do what works, I don't question or challenge it to my detriment.
Self sabotage is very simply ignoring the truth instead of embracing it.
What good is a truth that dooms you to failure.
***************************************************
I took the test, Yes I am officially a Hillbilly-Redneck.
What you say, You didn't realize America was being tested to figure this out.
Yeah sure but maybe not a test as much as being defined in media n by politicians etc.
It's OK, It's OK, we've got thick skins n we sure have been called worse.
We are that inscrutable class of people here in America, getting by n making it work.
Our recycling is reuse or re-purposing.
We used to be defined by our love n use of Ducktape.
Catch up folks, just like the kids we've move on, it's zipties now.
A close second is Ducktape.
We are hard pressed to find a political party to affiliate with because even if one appealed to us they both are real busy mean mouthing us.
Mostly though, the thing that we have in common is, we just want to be left alone, by everybody.
It could be worse, I could be a Commie Pinko.
The official Hillbilly-Redneck symbol should be a wrench ziptied to a roll of Ducktape.
Now all we gotta do is get it made.
This picture is nostalgic for me when I started looking at the background. On the other side of The white picket fence was our dads garden, The little building in the back held chickens & rabbits??? at various times. The tree to the right was a pear tree. That Pile between the small building & the pear tree was our wood pile. We heated with wood for a lot of years when I was young.
Comical phrase. Us boys used to carry wood into the house for burning. We used to tell each other, "Load Me Up". Makes me laugh now thinking of it.
The field behind our property was a big corn field. This was before President Eisenhower set up the highway system in the USA which ran through that corn field.
My guess is that this picture was taken between 1957 & 1959.
Making me approx 7 & Virgil maybe 9yrs old.
My guess is that my mother arranged us by age Left to right. Being second oldest that would make me second from the left.
Explanation. My Mother splurged on my birthay & bought us all Cowboy Hats & gun & holster sets. I picked the Roy Rogers gun & holster set.
I want to share a memory of my 8th Birthday in 1959.
My Mom decided to get my 4 brothers n I Cowboy Guns n Holsters.
Being my Birthday, I got 1st pick the Roy Rogers Double Holster n guns.
Last night while getting in the shower I had the vivid memory of us 5 boys walking down to Pete's store in our Cowboy Hats n Toy guns n Holsters.
My guess more than one of us wearing chaps n vests.
Just a beautiful memory of 5 boys ranging in age from 3 to 10yrs old decked out as cowboys getting ready to spend there quarters on cartoon supplies ready for the days adventures.
All Aboard The Rocket to Rangoo
Tales of the Old West & Huckleberry Hound
Six guns & Saturday morning cartoons
Early Saturday morning walks to Pete's store
Grape Soda & BBQ Tater Chips a weekly treat
Bike trips with jars of Kool-Aid
Riding out to my Aunts in the back of the truck staring at the sky
Back when my spurs were shiny
n Pizza came in a box from Chef Boyardee
Reality has taken over the space that once held my dreams
My prayer is to find Rocky Rangoo n live his life again
The Book of my life is written as Pez Outlaw
My inner child though, is named Rocky Rangoo
Maybe those Doctors were right n that's how we got here
![]() |
| Rocky Rangoo |
All Aboard The Rocket to Rangoo
Tales of the Old West & Huckleberry Hound
Six guns & Saturday morning cartoons
Early Saturday morning walks to Pete's store
Grape Soda & BBQ Tater Chips a weekly treat
Bike trips with jars of Kool-Aid
Riding out to my Aunts in the back of the truck staring at the sky
Back when my spurs were shiny
n Pizza came in a box from Chef Boyardee
Reality has taken over the space that once held my dreams
My prayer is to find Rocky Rangoo n live his life again
The Book of my life is written as Pez Outlaw
My inner child though, is named Rocky Rangoo
Maybe those Doctors were right n that's how we got here
Today people laugh when I call the clothes I'm wearing my outfit.
I think that I get that from my mother, she was really into outfits n loved dressing her boys.
I tried explaining an example to Kathryn Ann.
Back when the Brothers of The Brush was a thing.
Kathryn Ann, WHAT! wait a minute what the hell was that.
Obviously, a southside thing.
Anyway men grew beards n people dressed like Barbershop Quartets.
Still with me? Anyway mom made us boys matching outfits with vests.
So anyway I call what I wear each day my outfit.
I had an amazing early childhood.
Born into a 24x24ft cinder block house, 2nd born of 5 boys.
This type of house was common in our small neighborhood, I can think of 4 or 5 of them off the top of my head.
As my brothers started arriving an additional 24x24ft cinder block house was added to the north end of the original with the help of my grandpa Woodcock.
More boys meant further expansion n the low pitch roof was raised radically to add an entire second story.
My brothers n I ran the upstairs bunkhouse.
Yes we were probably considered poor, I knew what welfare spam, cheese n peanut butter were.
Unlike some who ate Welfare spam n hate it now, I still love Fried Spam.
I feel no shame about my preteen childhood, actually the opposite, it was magical
To my brothers: Virgil, David, Dennis n Lloyd.
This is the childhood that I prefer to remember.
The Hour is late, time to make peace with a life lived.
Rocky Rangoo
Born in a retching fever
Reality the bite of a rabid dog
Escape, a path to danger
Decades to outrun the demon
Finally I found him
His ego destroyed us both
Flickers of hope between the shadows
Always trying to outrun my fears
The groove is deep
Finally the light returns
No longer shamed by who I am
Labels become assets
A feather on the wind
The solo path my home
Without dreams my light would surely go out
How does darkness give birth to unbelievable optimism
You must walk through darkness to see the sun rise
*****************************
I treasure the moments, few as they are, that make the long waits worthwhile.
I've seen the hardest of men finally reveal the truth that has been my lifelong companion.
I find that comforting but still not the answer.
There are reasons for everything, I'm just beginning to understand that.
When I was young I fought against the contrary, now I simply accept it.
All that matters is what works n if you pay attention life hands you the road map.
Rocky Rangoo
Born in a retching fever
Reality the bite of a rabid dog
Escape, a path to danger
Decades to outrun the demon
Finally I found him
His ego destroyed us both
Flickers of hope between the shadows
Always trying to outrun my fears
The groove is deep
Finally the light returns
No longer shamed by who I am
Labels become assets
A feather on the wind
The solo path my home
Without dreams my light would surely go out
How does darkness give birth to unbelievable optimism
You must walk through darkness to see the sun rise
*****************************
I treasure the moments, few as they are, that make the long waits worthwhile.
I've seen the hardest of men finally reveal the truth that has been my lifelong companion.
I find that comforting but still not the answer.
There are reasons for everything, I'm just beginning to understand that.
When I was young I fought against the contrary, now I simply accept it.
All that matters is what works n if you pay attention life hands you the road map.
There is a spoken truth behind this , but my new understanding does not allow me to share it.
From here out I do what works, I don't question or challenge it to my detriment.
Self sabotage is very simply ignoring the truth instead of embracing it.
What good is a truth that dooms you to failure.
***************************************************
I took the test, Yes I am officially a Hillbilly-Redneck.
What you say, You didn't realize America was being tested to figure this out.
Yeah sure but maybe not a test as much as being defined in media n by politicians etc.
It's OK, It's OK, we've got thick skins n we sure have been called worse.
We are that inscrutable class of people here in America, getting by n making it work.
Our recycling is reuse or re-purposing.
We used to be defined by our love n use of Ducktape.
Catch up folks, just like the kids we've move on, it's zipties now.
A close second is Ducktape.
We are hard pressed to find a political party to affiliate with because even if one appealed to us they both are real busy mean mouthing us.
Mostly though, the thing that we have in common is, we just want to be left alone, by everybody.
It could be worse, I could be a Commie Pinko.
The official Hillbilly-Redneck symbol should be a wrench ziptied to a roll of Ducktape.
Now all we gotta do is get it made.




.webp)

What a great read. Thank you for the memories.
ReplyDelete