Please Watch My Emmy Winning Movie, The Pez Outlaw on Amazon Prime & Peacock. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Best actor at SXSW.
It's My Story.
ebay link to Pez Outlaw Collectibles.
It's My Story.
The title of this post is a private Joke between the Author Jeff Maysh n myself.
Oh right I guess not so private after that sentence?
Recently someone said to me, "You wrote about it".
Oh well then, It must be true.
A lot has been written about Pez Outlaw, most of it is true.
Recently I've met some new wonderful friends from California.
My new friends are very interested in everything that they can learn about the Pez Outlaw story.
Well I kinda love that so I've put them in touch with as many folks as I can so they hear all sides of the Pez Outlaw story.
That's where the subject of this post comes into play.
People internalize memory n perceptions of those memories very differently.
I'm beginning to believe that we each take snapshots with our minds n that those snapshots are a perception that digests the memory in a condensed mood if you will of the experience.
We bring ourselves n our life history to what we remember, so we percieve experiences differently.
Now i gotta tell you I'm kinda loving hearing some of how/what others remember seeing n in most cases they are so much better than my memories, because I was living it n remembering it from a completely different perspective.
It really gets back to other posts I've tried to write like ,
I must confess that my memory of The Life N Times Of Pez Outlaw are now beginning to get fuzzy.
To me the true story of Pez Outlaw is the same struggle every American faces.
Born in 1951, it was a time when parents hoped that there children would do better than they did.
Hoping that there children's lives would not see the pain of "the Great Depression" n "World War 2".
The fear of the Atomic Bomb n Communism was the world that I grew up in.
Add to that I grew up in a time when personality disorders were not understood.
Hell they didn't even know what Dyslexia was, That was fun, being branded as slow, flunked a grade n eventually leading to dropping out of high school.
I struggled to fit in, find my place in this world when none of it made any sense at all to me'
I attempted to follow the path worn deep by those that preceded me, failing with every footstep.
A simple thing like being around people led to Alcohol n Drug addiction, today it's called self medicating.
I joined the Marine Corps, a 6yr enlistment during Vietnam to escape a life I knew was on the wrong path.
Here's the touchy part.
The methods n rigors of Marine Corps training brought all the Physiological problems that had been bubbling below the surface into full bloom.
A vegetable soup of isms (compulsive Obsessive n a bit bipolar/schizophrenic), I became a Psychiatrists retirement plan.
Instead of treatment the Marine Corp Branded me for life n cut me loose.
Yes this bothers me to this day.
2 yrs later Kathy took on the challenge of picking up the pieces, her brother Gerry accomplished what my family couldn't. On his word alone I got the job that would take care of my family for the next 25yrs.
I spent those years grateful but yearning for a dream I believed possible.
In 1994 I saw my shot at a crazy persons version of the American Dream.
Yes my version was unorthodox n borderline illegal, for a person with my background though pretty much the straight line I was destined to be on.
I achieved a dream beyond one I could have imagined, 4.5 million gross in 11yrs n world travel.
This yes was my Lottery story that lasted almost a decade, but not unlike the others it ended in tragedy n debt.
Now we get to the nut of things, the struggle back.
The commitment to a dream n goal when you are pretty much the only person on planet earth that believes it is possible.
In 1998/2000 my world ended followed by a 20yr gap, with me sitting here writing this to you.
Click your fingers n that's my last 2 decades gone.
I let one of my isms take charge, creating Pez Outlaw Diary, writing his story, Creating Notes From The Asylum. Then Promotion, Promotion n more Promotion.
Today the Pez Outlaw story has had way over 2 million views in one form or another WORLDWIDE, (I'm big in Argentina, Czechia, Slovakia, Germany, Romania etc).
A story was written about him in Playboy Magazine, every little boys dream.
Followed by a movie option, I believe it was with Warner Brothers picture, yes I've actually forgotten.
There have been n still are other offers.
To me the payoff on this whole Pez Outlaw story is a camera on him watching his story being filmed as a Hollywood Movie.
The work, The perseverance being paid in full with that one picture.
As you might have noticed in true schizophrenic fashion I see Pez Outlaw n myself as 2 separate n very different people, even though others see us as one.
This reader is just my take on Pez Outlaw n My story.
I have no problem with whatever story someone else might see n want to tell.
Thank You for your interest.
I took the path I was meant to travel n lived the life I was destined to live.
Recently I've met some new wonderful friends from California.
My new friends are very interested in everything that they can learn about the Pez Outlaw story.
Well I kinda love that so I've put them in touch with as many folks as I can so they hear all sides of the Pez Outlaw story.
That's where the subject of this post comes into play.
People internalize memory n perceptions of those memories very differently.
I'm beginning to believe that we each take snapshots with our minds n that those snapshots are a perception that digests the memory in a condensed mood if you will of the experience.
We bring ourselves n our life history to what we remember, so we percieve experiences differently.
Now i gotta tell you I'm kinda loving hearing some of how/what others remember seeing n in most cases they are so much better than my memories, because I was living it n remembering it from a completely different perspective.
It really gets back to other posts I've tried to write like ,
Are we who we think we are or are we who others see? #Netflix #pezoutlaw #Amazon
|
I'm beginning to forget a lot of his life, Well for Pete's Sakes it was a lifetime ago, going on 25yrs now.
Which by no coincidence is why I wrote Pez Outlaw Diary and Notes From The Asylum, I knew that I would eventually forget almost all of it.
I know this because this has been my life's pattern, I just eventually move on n clear space for new memories.
I had to tell my new friends that just because I don't remember something/a story someone else has a vivid memory of does not mean that it didn't happen.
It just means that I might n most likely have forgotten it.
When gathering our memories we each gather different experiences in different ways.
What I may gather as the things That I found relevant n interesting will in all likelihood be different aspects of the same moment in time than you do.
My memories will be the show, the trip, was it a good presentation, was it a success.
Yours will be the experience, the fun, the imprint of you that day.
I've been told my 8yr old granddaughter does a killer impression of me, as in how grandpa come with sound effects n gestures, just funny as hell, but do I see myself that way?
The point being that that is the imprint on her mind of me n it is relevant.
Are We Who We Think We are or are we who others perceive us to be?
Internally we are one person to ourselves but I think more importantly we are who people around us remember us to be.
I believe the Pez Outlaw that God Willing is remembered will be the Pez Outlaw seen through the eyes of others.
He was who you saw, His story is the story you tell.
Pez Outlaw is your story, he belongs to you if you will have him.
I can only add one more perspective.
To me the true story of Pez Outlaw is the same struggle every American faces.
Born in 1951, it was a time when parents hoped that there children would do better than they did.
Hoping that there children's lives would not see the pain of "the Great Depression" n "World War 2".
The fear of the Atomic Bomb n Communism was the world that I grew up in.
Add to that I grew up in a time when personality disorders were not understood.
Hell they didn't even know what Dyslexia was, That was fun, being branded as slow, flunked a grade n eventually leading to dropping out of high school.
I struggled to fit in, find my place in this world when none of it made any sense at all to me'
I attempted to follow the path worn deep by those that preceded me, failing with every footstep.
A simple thing like being around people led to Alcohol n Drug addiction, today it's called self medicating.
I joined the Marine Corps, a 6yr enlistment during Vietnam to escape a life I knew was on the wrong path.
Here's the touchy part.
The methods n rigors of Marine Corps training brought all the Physiological problems that had been bubbling below the surface into full bloom.
A vegetable soup of isms (compulsive Obsessive n a bit bipolar/schizophrenic), I became a Psychiatrists retirement plan.
Instead of treatment the Marine Corp Branded me for life n cut me loose.
Yes this bothers me to this day.
2 yrs later Kathy took on the challenge of picking up the pieces, her brother Gerry accomplished what my family couldn't. On his word alone I got the job that would take care of my family for the next 25yrs.
I spent those years grateful but yearning for a dream I believed possible.
In 1994 I saw my shot at a crazy persons version of the American Dream.
Yes my version was unorthodox n borderline illegal, for a person with my background though pretty much the straight line I was destined to be on.
I achieved a dream beyond one I could have imagined, 4.5 million gross in 11yrs n world travel.
This yes was my Lottery story that lasted almost a decade, but not unlike the others it ended in tragedy n debt.
Now we get to the nut of things, the struggle back.
The commitment to a dream n goal when you are pretty much the only person on planet earth that believes it is possible.
In 1998/2000 my world ended followed by a 20yr gap, with me sitting here writing this to you.
Click your fingers n that's my last 2 decades gone.
I let one of my isms take charge, creating Pez Outlaw Diary, writing his story, Creating Notes From The Asylum. Then Promotion, Promotion n more Promotion.
Today the Pez Outlaw story has had way over 2 million views in one form or another WORLDWIDE, (I'm big in Argentina, Czechia, Slovakia, Germany, Romania etc).
A story was written about him in Playboy Magazine, every little boys dream.
Followed by a movie option, I believe it was with Warner Brothers picture, yes I've actually forgotten.
There have been n still are other offers.
To me the payoff on this whole Pez Outlaw story is a camera on him watching his story being filmed as a Hollywood Movie.
The work, The perseverance being paid in full with that one picture.
As you might have noticed in true schizophrenic fashion I see Pez Outlaw n myself as 2 separate n very different people, even though others see us as one.
This reader is just my take on Pez Outlaw n My story.
I have no problem with whatever story someone else might see n want to tell.
Thank You for your interest.
I took the path I was meant to travel n lived the life I was destined to live.



Great article and incredible story, Steve!
ReplyDeletethank you
DeleteIts good for the soul..... to tell your story... I for one very much enjoy reading the life of PEZ Outlaw. I also love the person behind the story. God bless you Steve and kathy. two really wonderful people.
ReplyDeleteall our love to you
Delete