Sunday, January 1, 2017

When Captain Kangaroo Was COOL! #pezoutlaw #hollywood

1955 was a wonderful year.
When you are 4 years old you have no idea what's cool, you like what you like.

If I wanted to sound cool I'd say Howdy Doody but the real show I remember watching was Captain Kangaroo.
Be honest, would you tell your friends that Captain Kangaroo was your favorite childhood TV show. 
Maybe the most uncool thing you could say, even though it is in all likelihood the truth.

Here's a good example, 3 days ago Wally Gator, El Kabong etc, lots of response because they are considered cool cartoons. 
Today Captain Kangaroo TRUTH, zero response, uncool.
Gotta admit I am naturally drawn to things that are considered uncool.
Uncool fits me like an old pair of gloves.

No problem because truth be told, I am uncool.
At least I hope I am. 
I've seen what's considered cool today.
Yeah, I wanna be the opposite of that, Thank You Very Much. 

I admit to being deeply contrarian. 
I am compelled in the opposite direction of any crowd.
Y'all are goin that way, cool, I'll go this way. 
I don't wanna see the same thing you all will see, I wanna see something different.

Robert "Bob" Keeshan aka Captain Kangaroo. June 27, 1927 – January 23, 2004
Captain Kangaroo was on TV from October 3, 1955 to December 8, 1984 CBS

Bob Keeshan aka Captain Kangaroo was the original Clarabell The Clown on the Howdy Doody show.

I watched Howdy Doody, I know that I must have, it was the in show of my childhood.
Funny thing though I don't have any memories of watching the Howdy Doody show.
I do though have a ton of memories of Captain Kangaroo. 

In 1960 Bob Keeshan aka Captain Kangaroo, tried a new character of Mister Mayor for 1 year on CBS.

Bob Keeshan as Captain Kangaroo
Mr. Green Jeans was played by
Hugh Brannum
Cosmo Allegretti as Moose, Mr. Bunny Rabbit, Grandfather Clock n Dancing Bear
Though how we got here today was that it occurred to me this morning that Tom Terrific was probably my first cartoon.
In 1955 I was 4 years old, which coincided with the birth of the Captain Kangaroo show.
This give or take a year or 2 was also about the time we got our first TV.
For sure though, 4 years old was when I became truly aware of TV n could understand it. 
At 4 years old no school yet but I did watch Captain Kangaroo every morning.

So Tom Terrific was in all likelihood my first cartoon show.


Tom Terrific

Mighty Manfred The Wonder Dog

Crabby Appleton
In My Element.
Did you really just start a fight about Captain Kangarooooooo,
YUP!
No, wait, What?

After Pez Outlaw, I intend to retire.
new profile pic captures my essence





Pez Outlaw Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment