Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Gabby Hayes King of Sidekicks #pezoutlaw #hollywood #NFTA


When Cowboys were King, George Francis "Gabby" Hayes was the King of sidekicks.
I'm going to write this as I remember it with zero research except the exact spelling of Gabby Hayes.
The reason is, I want my perspective n emotion about Gabby Hayes to come through.
Through the eyes of my youth.


I don't want to spoil my memories with a bunch of useless facts.
I prefer to keep my memories untouched by the trend of revisionist history.

Roy Rogers may have been King Of The Cowboys, most likely self branding by a studio.
But in this childs eyes Gabby Hayes was the King of the sidekicks, no discussion.
I may have dreamed of being Roy Rogers but in my heart I knew that I was Gabby Hayes.
Plus when your older brother picks first, guess what, your Gabby Hayes. 

Think about it, most of us are the sidekicks in our lives.
Very few of us were the #1 cool kid in our crowds, no we were the sidekicks.
Possibly another reason I identified with Gabby Hayes, only one high school quarterback per school after all.
Even in the hippie crowd of the 1960s there was a pecking order only one guy that wore the leather jacket with long fringe.
I was not the quarterback or the guy in the jacket with long fringe, I was Gabby Hayes, the sidekick.  
It's the old, Are you Betty or Veronica thing. Guys, Are you Roy Rogers or are you Gabby Hayes. 
I'm proud n always aspired to be a Gabby Hayes.

To me all the other cowboy sidekicks were who the studios went to if you could not get Gabby Hayes.
If a studio wanted there wannabe cowboy star to have a good launch, you got Gabby Hayes if possible.

George Francis "Gabby" Hayes was a New York taxi driver before he became a cowboy sidekick in the 1940s.
As a child I always thought Roy Rogers had to go with Pat Brady when he launched his TV show because Gabby Hayes was not available.


From a small child in the 1950s when Westerns were what we watched on TV, Gabby Hayes left a deep impression on me. I've thought a lot about him over the years.
In the 1970s n 1980s when I was still not accepting my true self, I read every book I could get my hands on about the Marx Brothers, because if you wanted to be cool you talked about the Marx Brothers.
I enjoyed the history of there lives and understood there work, but honestly I was more of a 3 Stooges Gabby Hayes kinda guy.

Once the cowboy thing took over TV in the 1950s, Gabby Hayes had his own syndicated show.
That might be the association my mind gets with Gaby Hayes n the 3 Stooges.




Funny thing is the older I get, The more I look like Gabby Hayes. 

That's why I've always said, because Gabby Hayes is dead I guess Bill Murray or Michael Keaton would be my choices to play me in The Pez Outlaw Movie.
I have an opinion, but I honestly don't care who plays Pez Outlaw.

I will admit I thought Nellie Bell was very cool n probably led to my lifelong love of jeeps. 
You had to be there to get that one.
Does that make Nellie Bell a sidekick, vehicle?

TV is my Friend




Born in 1951, I am the TV generation. I was raised by TV. 
TV for most of my life has been the one friend I could count on.

Things have changed a great deal in 64 years on TV.
The biggest being I no longer watch anything in real time.
More than that, I watch most 1 hour shows in about a half hour.
Half hour shows in at most 15 to 20 minutes.

Long drawn out Car and foot chase scenes bore me to death.
Long drawn out Fight scenes bore me.
Sharing our feelings scenes bore me.
The inevitable rehabilitation of a lead character sucks Hawkeye/MASH, Gibbs/NCIS.
Who are you trying to impress. You got the ratings because we liked them the way they were.

New ways of watching TV lose me, I went along up to and including DISH TV and DVD's.
Now thumb drives. Hulu, Netflix on demand. On line only. Enough already!
Seriously Why?
If it's not good enough to be on regular TV I don't want to hear about it.

I read EW magazine for the TV section, the minute I notice that a show is being reviewed on Amazon, Netflix, Showtime, Starz, HBO only I'm gone. No longer interested. Put it on regular TV, then we can talk.

I will tell you this much DISH Network. The new thing is dumping cable or dish type TV and just getting content from Netflix etc. Sorta reminds me of the moment that people realize they no longer needed land line telephones, that there cell phone was more than enough.
DISH TV about $100.00 per month vs Netflix approx $20.00 per month, you do the math.
Dish that $100.00 a month does not even get you the premium channels (HBO, Showtime etc).
The $20.00 per month for Netflix gets you everything.
DISH Network your greed will be your undoing, to say that you are not competitive is so so so an understatement of the facts.
DISH Network you need to find a way that if someone is paying you $100.00 a month that they get everything. $100.00 a month should be the premium platinum plan.

On another topic last night I started watching a series on The History Channel. 

I immediately started feeling disappointed.

I'm not going to be specific about what show. Ya know, why be that way.

2 main reasons.

1. The people they chose for on camera comments did not represent real America. They said the words but no way did I believe that they would stand by those words if push came to shove. In many cases they represented a bias that is being forced on Americans. Enough about that, I was just disappointed, we'll leave it at that.

2. Old blatantly incorrect accounts were perpetuated for convenience. You've got to watch that show on AHC that goes into facts vs fiction to get this part.

If I can't watch it using just ONE remote control for the TV etc. Not interested.

After Pez Outlaw, I intend to retire.
new profile pic captures my essence





Pez Outlaw Diary



 


No comments:

Post a Comment