Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Catfishing #pezoutlaw #hollywood @pezoutlaw

I threw the big battery away but saved the broken plane as a Catfishing reminder.


MMMM, CATFISH, YUMMY. Not that kind of Catfish, idjet.

This morning I was contacted by someone looking at a big collection of collectibles, but the owner was vague on what they wanted.
No doubt this seller is on the up n up but the number of time I have run across this with Pez n Cereal Boxes where they weren't changed the way I do business.

In the beginning I would just send money to people n trusted pretty much everybody.
Now, anybody that I do not know of or that I did not source must send the product, then I send a check.

Josh, Steph n my turning point was a Pez deal.
Someone contacted me with some really cool stuff at a fair price.
I sent the check. A day or 2 later a box arrived containing a very big battery and a broke metal plane.
Thank God we were able to contact the bank n claw the money back. If I remember it was about $1,200.00.
This type of thing happened n does more than you would think.

Now when contacted about Cereal Boxes these days, I tell them.
Send the boxes n once they arrive I will send the check.
I always explain. You know who I am or you would not have contacted me.
I have no idea who you are.

I also have a hard n fast rule. 
If the seller indicates I'm bidding against someone for the items, I walk away.
Do not contact me about an item if you already have an interested buyer, because I will just say thank you for thinking of me n congratulate the other party on there win.

Never be pushed into a purchase.
If any kind of a hurry up or you will lose it strategy is employed by a seller.
Politely thank the for thinking of you, then run as fast as you can, holding tightly onto your wallet as you run.

One last thing.
When I'm thinking about buying something, I do not try to go cheap n hope I get it.
I offer what I'm willing to pay.
I know what something is worth to me for various reasons n factors, that's what I offer.
Decline that offer n what you have stays yours or somebody elses.

If I lose something after I offer what it's worth to me, I have no remorse.
Obviously that item is of no use to me at the higher price.

Believe it or not, each of these rules came into being after one scam or another.
I've even had people bitch me out after I refuse to send money up front to someone I've never heard of.
On the other hand, I had a guy who claimed to have worked at the printers for Ralston contact me with a pretty large amount of unused flats.
If ever there was a scam in the making that one bore all the earmarks.
Really cool stuff n lots of it.
We settled on $2.00 per box x 1,000+ boxes.
Reluctantly he said he'd ship.
To my amazement, it was real. I next day expressed his cashiers check.

The moral is sometimes fairytales do come true, but you must follow good business practices with strangers to be safe.
If you lose the buy, you have lost nothing because you can not lose what was never yours to begin with. 

There are a lot of people in the world today that think you are stupid, Don't prove them right.

After Pez Outlaw, I intend to retire.
new profile pic captures my essence





Pez Outlaw Diary


No comments:

Post a Comment