Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Talking to Animals #pezoutlaw #hollywood @pezoutlaw

There is a horse on the farm that was scared of me/men when she came here.
It's taken 3 years but the other day when she saw me she came running full speed to me. 
All I did was give her room, respect her space n provide a steady reliable routine.

With horses and dogs I've had to undo a lot of damage by ignorant previous "owners".
It can take years to undo. Sometimes all you can do is lessen the damage.

One of the ways I do this is by talking to the animals.
A lady was working with Johnny Cash (horse) I asked her how it went.
They were having issues.
This happens over n over with lots of horses.
It sounds simplistic but I always ask, are you talking to him.
I feel it's important to have a relationship with a horse before you ever try to ride it.
If a horse likes or loves you, they will give you the benefit of the doubt.
No relationship, they'd just as soon put you on the ground.

That's not to say that a group of horses can't be trained n made to understand that there job is to give strangers rides. But then again they are doing that out of respect for there trainer "Kathy" that has asked them to do that. In that case they are doing it because of the relationship that they have with her not the rider.
 
Another way I communicate with animals is by example. 
I present as calm n strong a presence as I can.
It does not hurt that I also feed them.
To the horses I'm steady Eddy.
Every day roughly same times, I'm there with food.
I ask nothing, I just feed them. Trust me they notice.

With my dogs.
I eat, then they always get a good portion of whatever or whenever I eat.
Exactly the same way it would be in there world in the wild.
Dogs understand this, the leader of the pack always eats first, then he shares.

One quick note on rescue dogs.
I have one trick I use from day one.
I rename the dog the day it arrives.
New name for a new life.
You might be surprised to learn Billy Dogs original name was Lilly.
Lilly was the dog tied with a rope to a tree in zero degree temps.
When Billy arrived she asked me if she could have a better life, I told her she was home now.
Billy Dog is my Knuckle Head buddy. 
Billy is the unstoppable dog, optimistic beyond reason. 
Billy helped me get over the loss of Rudy.

I don't know what Pinkies name was.
Found him in the corner of a pasture at a young age freezing n burns all over his back.
Pinky asked me to please take him in, I told him all that was over, he was home now.
Being an Albino Doberman I gave him as playful a name as I could think of.
His trauma was very deep, years n years of talking to help him find a place he can live with in his mind.

Once a dog picks me I have no choice, I must agree to give them all I can.
I give them my strength to lean on n they give me there's.

I love Dogs n Horses, they are my friends.
In most cases I like Dogs more than I like humans.

Pez Outlaw Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment